It is a town in Bjelopavlici Plane, near the banks of the Zeta River and at the foot of Mt Garac (1436 m). Speedway and railway pass through this small town connecting the two largest towns in Montenegro, Podgorica and Niksic. Danilovgrad is 75 km far from the seaside, and 120 km from Zabljak winter resort and 110 km from Kolasin winter resort.
This monastery is located in the vicinity of Nikšić, built in the steep rock overlooking the Bjelopavlicka Plain. This monastery is the most famous pilgrimage site in Montenegro. It was founded by the Herzeg Archbishop Vasilije in the 17th century. He was buried here and canonised as a miracle-performing saint.
His body rests in the cell of the cave church. The monastery was reconstructed in 1923-1926 following a fire which spared the small cave churches. These churches are the main attractions of this monument. The Church of the Entrance of the Holy Mother of God was painted with frescoes at the end of the 17th century. The Church of the Holy Cross is located in the upper monastery level and it was painted by the master Radul who adjusted the frescoes to the natural shape of the rocks. The church is surrounded by konaks and they both represent a structure which is in harmony with its natural ambience.
The Orthodox monastery of Ostrog is one of the most visited monasteries in the Balkans. It is visited by believers from all over the world, individually or in groups. It is a confluence of all three confessions: Orthodox, Catholic and Muslim, as it is believed that the relics of St. Vasilije of Ostrog are miraculous. According to pilgrims’ testimonials, praying in front of these relics has helped them cure or lessen their life’s troubles.
Museum of Local History in Danilovgrad
The museum is located in a building erected 1879-80 as a summer getaway for Prince Nikola.
In 1918, the building was adapted for the purposes of a Teachers' Academy. As part of the museum there are an archaeological, an ethnographic and a historic collection. The permanent exhibitioin displays items from archaeological localities in the Bjelopavlić plain, items that show the variety of folclore handicraft as well as items documenting the eventful history of this area during the centuries.
Martinićka gradina – Londodokla
Londodokla is located in the Martinici region not far from Danilovgrad. It is one of the most significant ancient, early-Christian and early mediaeval sites in Montenegro! The quality of historical remains from this area represents a continuous monitoring of a historical order starting from the 2nd-3rd to the 9th-10th centuries. Together with the remains of some manuscripts, it presents the most precious segments of local history.
The Art Colony of Danilovgrad
The art colony of Danilovgrad is an initiator for cherishing, modelling and exhibiting of sculptures in the open. This fact makes it a unique place and very important landmark for further cultural development in this region.
It has more than 100 pieces of sculptures of both gallery size and open-air size.
Every year the art colony organises a symposium of sculptors where many international artists work on sculptures in the famous white stone from Danilovgrad.