Millennium Park, Siófok
The 16 000 m² large park, located in the heart of the city near the train station, was opened in the summer of 1994. The design of the park was made by Dr. Imre Jámbor, a university professor at the Faculty of Horticultural Science. There are many statues and memorials in the park among them the one standing int he Music Pavilion, made by local artist Imre Varga and depicts Emmerich Kálmán, the famous, Siófok born composer of the operetta The Gypsy Queen.
Another important sight of the park is the group of statues called "Martyrs" which was originally erected in Kaposvár in 1985, and they have an interesting history. During winter 1991, the assembly of Kaposvár decided to remove the symbols of socialism from public spaces, and the seven figure statue group of Imre Varga, called the "Lenin and the Somogy County Martyrs of the Hungarian Soviet Republic" was considered one of these. The statues were put in a warehouse but after some of the seven statues were stolen it was decided that it is better if they are returned to a public square. At the same time, Siófok decided to establish a Varga collection so they offered to place the statues in their city.
Walking in the park, it is also worth to have a look at the statue by István Maksa called "Showering Woman" standing on the bank of one of the small lakes. Walking towards the Water Tower we can see the World War II memorial by Sándor Kiss. Near the Our Lady Church is the Fountain of Tears which was inaugurated on the 50th anniversary of the Revolution of 1956.
The park is perfect for taking a relaxing stroll (even at night as there are lights), having a rest from an all day sight seeing or waiting for our train to arrive.
You can read about the other statues of Imre Varga in Siófok here.